Is Celebrate Recovery new?
- About 2000 years ago, Jesus taught the beatitudes which are the 8 principles of CR and correspond to the 12 Steps used in other recovery groups.
- In 1990 CR began in one church – and is now in 29,000 churches around the world.
- January 2016 was when Weekly Meetings and Step Study Meeting started at Oakwood Community Church.
What is a Weekly Meeting?
Monday’s 7:00 pm meetings are open to anyone and have two parts:
1. Large Group Meeting:
- Worship in song
- Alternating weeks include: either a personal testimony or a lesson on one of the 12 Steps
2. Open Share Meeting:
- Separated by gender
- Confidential expressions of thoughts and feelings
What is a Step Study Meeting?
Groups of 3 to 8 people of the same gender establish a convenient time to meet weekly and...
- Focus on our own thoughts and feelings, while doing this study with others who are doing the same thing
- Work through the biblically based 12 Steps and their corresponding 8 principles
- Individually identify, leave behind & let go of past and present Hurts, Hang-ups and Habits (including regrets, disappointments, etc.); all things which negatively impact our relationships with others, with God and with ourselves
- Daily grow in our relationship with God and dependence on Him for direction of our life
What is required? Do I have to be a church member? a Christian?
The only requirement is that you have a desire to change and grow.